Is competitive employment an option for young adults with autism? It is now. . The Learning Academy at the University of South Florida is a customized transition program that assists in preparing young adults age 18-25 diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder for employment. The Learning Academy in Tampa provides services, supports and experiential opportunities that develop and enhance each student’s independence in meeting personal career goals. Students engage in self-discovery and career exploration through real-life opportunities such as applied learning experiences with local employers and peer mentoring, which allows the generalization of learned skills. . You do not need to be a USF student to apply. This is a year-long program where students learn about themselves, their disability and how to become employment-ready. Students are assigned a mentor to help them navigate the courses and employment. . The Learning Academy also offers employment services for job seekers. The goal is to provide meaningful, creative and individualized job development and support services to find the career that best matches a client’s gifts and interests and supports him/her to secure long-term and gainful employment.
The Learning Academy Employment Services can offer you:
– The chance to learn more about your dreams, vision for your future, skills and interests.
– Assistance in identifying a career where you can use your talents and become an asset to a business.
– The feeling of happiness and satisfaction to go to work each day.
– Resume preparation that showcases your gifts.
– The ability to market yourself through learning interviewing skills and connecting you to potential employers.
– Training that is matched to the available position and help through the first year of the job.
– Support for you and your new supervisor to get you settled into the job. . Employers seeking more information on autism training, neurodiverse recruitment and finding the best match for vacancies can contact The Learning Academy for more information. We can help find and develop the right people for the job while building a diverse and sustainable workforce within your business. . The Learning Academy at USF was founded in 2009. Students attend classes Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to noon. To learn more about courses, application requirements and tuition, click here.